Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sex as a Way of Protesting

My G20 post will have to wait another day, or maybe it will never be done b/c I'm just not understanding the financial agreements on cutting the deficits that the countries agreed on - well I kind of understand what they want but how is the question. Maybe I shouldn't enter into the financial field after all....

In a post earlier I laid out my view of the rioters that took over Toronto for the G20 weekend:

People, the next time you want to protest, please protest like Winston Smith & Julia.
At least all the damage they were capable of was over-populating Oceania
. Next time, use sex as a way to protest - not only is it more enjoyable but it's less disruptive.

According to my religion teacher last year, "Sex is great!" - I'll take his word for it. With this in mind, I can't help but wonder why people are protesting by burning police cars, throwing feces, and breaking windows when that is hard work and not enjoyable at all.

I love to read and every once in a while I see glimpses of literature in the real world. In the case of the G20 I instantly connected it to George Orwell's 1984. At first it was the fact there was a law passed so quietly that one could not help but think of all the rules/laws placed on by Big Brother that the citizens of Oceania did not really know about. That being said, it also felt like the people of Toronto were the Party members or the proles and the G20 leaders were the wining and dining Inner Party Members. It also felt like the people that did not care about the fact some of the rights were infringed upon (I Just Want My City, Province, & Country back) just like Parsons & Syme.

As the rioters destroyed my city and left all of us wondering what they were protesting for/against I couldn't but think of the Two Minute Hate - the people in Oceania didn't seem to know why they were hating on Goldstein, only knowing that they hated him. Similar to this, it seemed like the rioters were just hating on something - this something may be capitalism but I wouldn't know b/c they never stated their reasons for such a violent, vandalizing destruction. It seemed like there were just hating with no reason to hate.

After this I thought about the protesting done in 1984 and realized when Winston and Julia were protesting they never did anything violent - they just had sex (which was forbidden but still). I couldn't help but think these two are the smartest of all, not only were they protesting but they were doing it while enjoying themselves since according to the said teacher, "Sex is great!" The only destruction these two would be capable of would be having kids hence overpopulation (but only if they go at it like rabbits do). This comes to the conclusion that the next time people want protest (without knowing what they're protesting against exactly), they should just have sex - as stated earlier, way less disruptive and way more enjoyable.

Once again:

People, the next time you want to protest, please protest like Winston Smith & Julia.
At least all the damage they were capable of was over-populating Oceania
. Next time, use sex as a way to protest - not only is it more enjoyable but it's less disruptive.


Thanks, oh, have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment