Thursday, June 17, 2010

Akeelah and the Bee

Akeelah and the Bee has got to be one of the cutest movies ever. She is such a cutie as is Javier, such a cute couple. As we watched the move in math for the last two days we realized how horrible we are at spelling. I totally respect spellers but I still don't understand why it's considered a sport and it's played on TSN.

Last night I got an email with a link to a pdf file that lists the average times universities in the States (tier 2) start recruiting from and it seems really messed to me. I am a few seconds off being recruited for the 1500 and the 3200 but minutes off for 5k for XC. According to this file I am more likely to be recruited for the 1500 and the 3200 than for cross country - totally wacked b/c I'm a long distance runner. Based on my training run times I'm pretty decent for a half marathon though my 10k time seems to be lacking (a lot). I just don't understand how based on this, my best events would be the 1500 & the 3200. And the fact I'm not fast enough for walk-on for cross country.

Anyways, back to Akeelah and the Bee, I told my coach about the situtation above and he starts telling me I should focus on the 1500 & 3200 b/c there's a higher chance of being recruited. He also tells me he wants me to aim for top 3 at the YRAA next year which I think is impossible b/c of all the great runners out there but then he throws in Akeelah and the Bee and how she's an underdog and how I should aspire to be like her. I really don't think I can get top 3 - top 10 sounds likely since I was 11th this year however this year was a weak year in terms of the XC runners so it will be hard getting into top 10 this year.

Habs traded Halak - I think Halak is overrated but he is so much better than Price.

Test on Manon des Sources tomorrow! I don't remember any of the book....tiem to reread - i have 7h till I need to get up and leave for school.
***excuse the bad grammar & writting style - I've been in French mode for the last couple of hours

No comments:

Post a Comment