Tuesday, May 11, 2010

My Final Decision in Dropping iB

I made the final decision to drop IB about one or two weeks ago - before this I had applied for next year as an academic student but I was 80% sure I would switch back to IB by the end of the year. After looking at my current marks and the field I may be heading in, I decided it would be better for me if I drop the program b/c my marks are horrible right now (low 70s) and at my school the IB is more focused on the sciences so if I want to head toward the business field I should leave the program. I feel this is the right decision but it's a really hard decision b/c I spent the last 3 years thinking I would graduate high school with an IB diploma. I find it hard b/c I know I can finish the program but it's the marks that are bringing me down - my marks untranslated are really low but once translated it should be good enough for 80s - which are decent but not great.

When I drop I know I'm going to be under a lot of pressure b/c if I have an average lower than 90% I don't know what I will do with myself. But at the same time I know if I stay with the program there will be even more pressure with the IOC, ToK essay, Extended Essay, and the CAS hours. I think I would actually be fine with doing the IOC, the ToK essay, Extended Essay, and the CAS hours but what's really dragging me from continuing is IB chem - I don't like chem and I don't think I will be able to survive IB chem, especially since it's HL. It's also a hard decision b/c I know I will be able to de decent/well in IB English & IB Econ. so it's kind of a tough spot. What really made me change my decision is my mark in IB bio right now - 70s, in bio I realized how much I despise doing labs - especially IB style labs.

Overall, even though my marks are terrible this year I'm glad I chose to continue to do Yr. 1 IB - I learnt a lot during this year and the friendships I made over the 3 year period of Pre-IB & IB are truly amazing. With the friends I have supporting me I feel like I can conquer the world. I'm truly going to miss the friends I have who are staying in IB (especially K) and I really want to thank them for our great friendship.

Moving onwards, I really need a 90 average next year and I need to do well with the SATs in Sept - my dad thinks I should apply to NYU, Brown, & UPenn - there's a chance I'll get in if my average is a 90+ next year. If I don't get into the schools in the States I really want to get into Rotman (still a 90%+ school) and maybe switch to somewhere in Europe after first year. I'm not really sure if I even want to study business but it's such a broad field I can always switch out of it if I hate it a lot.

***skipped my run for the 2nd day in a row, so cold and tired today - will do morning run

No comments:

Post a Comment